Can we afford to adopt?
Once you decide to adopt and the excitement begins to sink in what is the first concern on your mind usually? How in the world am I going to afford this? We certainly did not have $25 to $30,000 laying around waiting to be spent! Then on top of that anxiety about 60% of the people you share your plans with will spontaneously ask, "and how much does that cost?" Some people ask because they are wondering if they could ever afford adoption and some ask out of pure curiosity. All I can say is get used to this question. It will come over and over again. The other thing I want to say is this one question can really cause a lot of anxiety in parents who are on this journey. It really can suck the joy right out of you if you let it! Your first defense is prayer! If God has called you to adopt HE WILL provide!
Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ.
God began the work of orphan care and adoption in our hearts and it was our job to be obedient. My go to response when asked about the money was we are fully dependent on God to provide and his provision will be enough. One of our prayers for our adoption was to do it debt free. This is not everyone's prayer but it was very important to us not to gain any financial debt from this process. I can say God completely answered this prayer in many ways. After completion we looked at our savings account and it was almost the exact amount that we had before beginning our journey. Thank you Lord for your provision! He is so faithful, but he wants you to trust him! The money came when it was needed, not before and not after. Each payment was covered right in time and we really just had to trust God that he would come through. That is easier to say than to do but it really is just that simple. He was so faithful at every turn that we realized all we had to do was stop trying to be controlling and watch his glory unfold! I can tell you the biggest way it was displayed was through his saints. Saint after saint handed us money and checks and said God had called them to help!
I can't say THANK YOU enough to those people who sacrificially gave to help bring our little guy home. You were obedient to God's call on your heart and we couldn't have done it without your sacrifices!
So, to say all this does not mean we were not proactive in trying to fund-raise. We were very active and prayerful about how God wanted us to proceed. Please remember this was a 2 year and 4 month journey so do not attempt all of this at once! It is not a sprint but more of a faith walk. Below, I am going to include links and names of companies that helped us personally in our journey. I pray this will help you in your journey!
Philippians 4:19 "And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus."
1. One of the easiest ways we fund-raised was through tee shirt sales. We went through adoption bug but unfortunately this company is no longer in business. However, there are other tee shirt sale sites and I would encourage you to explore those companies.
2. Just Love Coffee Roasters was another great and easy fundraiser. https://justlovecoffee.com/shop/
3. We had a yard sale and sold lemonade.
4. We applied for and received a grant and support through Life Song for Orphans. They are able to receive donations for you and give donors tax deductions in return. We received a $2000 matching grant though them. So any donation up to $2,000 was matched making it $4,000 total when we reached the goal. http://www.lifesongfororphans.org/
5. Our biggest and most exciting fundraiser was through Both Hands. They are able to help you fund raise while simultaneously blessing a widow. This one takes a lot of work and determination but you are able to help a widow with house repairs or landscaping. It was the most fun and amazing part of our fundraising journey. It also helps you bring together a community of people to support you and the widow! We also raised about $8,000 with this one. http://www.bothhands.org/
6. We are big into the Dave Ramsey envelope system. Which is basically using cash as much as possible instead of a debit or credit card. This system has changed our life for the better in many many ways. One way it helped our adoption fund is every bit of the coins we received as change for 2 years went into a jar for our adoption. It really added up!
7. Finally, we were approved for a $5,000 Show Hope grant. https://showhope.org/
So as you can see it was a lot of work on our part but the success was fully dependent on God's provision! Every sacrifice was worth our sweet little guy being in our arms and in his new home!